25 March 2014

Rocking the 1950s house wife thing

It all started by looking for a recipe to make for the boys as an after school snack, yesterday was toasties an although I made enough for two days they only lasted one. Anyway as I was going through my recipe folder I noticed that lots of my favourites that had been printed out were starting to get a bit tattered and torn around the edges, not to mention a bit of the odd cookie dough mark on some so I decided to grab out my most used and laminate them and store them in this magazine holder I had spare, will decorate it some way I'm sure but will be later down the track. Now all I need to do is grab my fully wipable recipe out and it's right there to touch with my foody hands, not only is it more hygienic, the old favourites will last for so much longer now.
 So in keeping with the food theme I decided to give this recipe http://eliseblaha.typepad.com/golden/2014/03/how-we-do-asparagus.html a try, OMG my tastebuds were still dancing and hour later, talk about yummy. The only thing I did differently was to cook up a bit of bacon to go with it, so crispy crunchy delicious.  I get tired of trying to come up with fast but healthy lunches so as this covered both bases (well maybe not the bacon) I'm sure it is something I will do again, especially now I have a wonderful non stick stone pan that is amazing to clean.

 And then not forgetting my initial reason for getting all foody and 1950s housewifish I then made up these peanut butter and oatmeal cookies. They are called dump bowl cookies but mention that in a house full of teenage boys and it's not likely to get very appropriate response. Instead of the intended dump of extra goodies I just used chia seeds, figured there was enough butter and sugar in them without adding more chocolate or lollies and the chia seeds are not only healthier but give it a yummy bit of crunch. http://michellewooderson.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/dump-bowl-cookies.html 
Now what to cook for dinner???

No comments: